Saturday, September 22, 2012

No one chooses this...but learn the difference

When you think of Anorexia, you simply think of that person who won't eat.  It's much more complex than that and there are different types of anorexics. If you know someone who is anorexic and you want to help them, you need to know these different types and also what makes each one tick.

1. Model Syndrome- I call it this because generally, these types of anorexics don't hate food. They just hate being fat. They CAN'T be fat in order to do whatever it is they want to do, be it modeling, ballet, or some other thing like this. These are the girls that are more likely to also be binge eaters or chew and spit girls. Like I said, they don't hate food. They hate what it does to their figure.
TRIGGERS: Talking about shopping, weight, or clothing sizes

2. Need Control-  You can't control what goes on in your life, but you can control what you eat. It's as simple as that.
TRIGGERS: Forcing them to eat (control issue), Name calling (stupid, crazy, ext.)

3. Always Been This Way- Believe it or not, there are some who have always had a strained relationship with food. This is the type that describes me.  I hate food. Not because it makes me fat, but just because I hate it. I don't find eating enjoyable. Note, there are certainly triggers but they tend to be more internal.
TRIGGERS: mostly internal or caused by self...past thoughts of sadness or depression.

Now, this is by no means everything you need to know nor is it very specific. This is just general information you should know when dealing with long term anorexics. If you need more specifics or help, just drop me a detailed message and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment